All credentialed teachers who are first assigned to a Transitional Kindergarten classroom after July 1, 2015, must have one of the following by August 1, 2020:
- At least 24 units in early childhood education, or childhood development, or both.
- As determined by the local educational agency employing the teacher, professional experience in a classroom setting with preschool age children that is comparable to the 24 units of education. (e.g. Teachers who take trainings under California Preschool Instructional Network (CPIN) can apply for continuing education units.)
- A child development teacher permit issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
First priority of funding goes to credentialed teachers assigned to a TK classroom after July 1, 2015, to increase their level of education in Early Education/ Child Development. Second priority of funding goes to all TK teachers. Third priority of funding goes to California State Preschool Program (CSPP) teachers for professional development stipends for education expenses related to professional development, including the costs of credit bearing coursework in early childhood education, child development, or both.
For more information, please contact Monica Bravo, Early Learning Services Specialist with the LPC at (408) 453-6802.
Step 1: Determine if you will submit reimbursement for coursework and/or professional development expenses
Step 2: Download the application packet
Step 3: Complete the application. PLEASE NOTE:
- Page 3 only needs to be completed if you are requesting funds be held for unit bearing coursework that you are currently enrolled in, but haven’t completed.
- Page 4 is to be submitted with verification i.e. receipts/documentation/transcripts or certificate of completion, in order to process your reimbursement.
Step 4: Make sure your employer signs the verification employment section on page 2
Step 5: You may submit by mail, email, or fax to the following person:
Monica Bravo, Early Learning Services Specialist
Santa Clara County Office of Education
1290 Ridder Park Drive, Mail Code 261
San Jose, CA 95131
Fax: (408) 453-3644
Step 6: Receive confirmation from the Specialist within 2 working days. This confirms that your application has been received and funds have been held for reimbursement.
Step 7: Once you have completed your coursework/professional development and have received your transcripts/certificate of completion, please submit page 4 with supporting documents. Your reimbursement will be processed at this time. Please allow 3-4 weeks to receive your check.
COLLEGES IN SANTA CLARA COUNTY
Two-Year Colleges: Semester System
Two-Year Colleges: Quarter System
Online courses may be available at any of these colleges. You may also contact the Early Learning Services Specialist if you wish to take courses at colleges not listed here
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES